Clean coal?? We don't think so.
Family, Kids & Health Stuff
- Higher Rates of Autism Found Near Toxic Waste Sites - (TheDailyGreen) "Search for Superfund sites near your home...Superfund sites are toxic waste sites designated by the Environmental Protection Agency as hazardous for human health."
- Favorite eco-books for kids of all ages - (Celebrate Green) This is a great list!
- Ben & Jerry's Launches Newest Fair Trade Flavor & Global Flavor Contest - (Business Wire) Mmmm....Chocolate Macadamia! "Ben & Jerry’s is asking its fans to create the company’s next Fair Trade flavor in the 'Do The World A Flavor' contest."
- Labour watchdog calls from Fairtrade commitments from Mars - (FoodProductionDaily.com) "Labour watchdog International Labor Rights Forum (ILRF) recognises Mars' recent road map for sustainability as 'an important step forward' but claims the chocolate behemoth needs to push further into Fairtrade certification"
- Feed Your Mind With the Big Green Cookbook - (Viv Magazine) Now this looks like a book we could get into!
- Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood - (EcoSalon) Check out this book review... Can it be that when our kids get older won't get to enjoy sushi and seafood as we did? Sad!!
- Keep Drinking Organic Milk: It's Making a Difference - (EarthFirst) "The Organic Center, a non-profit based in Colorado, created a calculator that helped them determine that 40 million pounds of fertilizer was avoided in 2008 thanks to organic milk production in the U.S."
- Get rid of cockroaches the greener way - (Mother Nature Network) "Environmentally friendly ways to get rid of those little pests."
- Kiss the upfront costs of solar goodbye - (Mother Nature Network) "The Lazy Environmentalist mentions four companies that offer solar for the home without the hefty pricetag up front."
- Composting robot turns kitchen scraps into fertilizer - (Mother Nature Network) "...Nature Mill offers convenient kitchen composting that is (allegedly) smell-free." Anyone have or try one of these??
Tech & Science Stuff
- PG&E hopes to capture solar power from space by 2016 - (Computerworld) "California utility working wiht Solaren Corp. to use orbiting solar panels to generate electricity..."
- 10 Unbelievable cars of the future - (Mother Nature Network) "TrendHunter's top 10 list -- flying cars, ultracapacitors, solar panels and one sexy hydrogen Jaguar." (video in post)
Work & Business Stuff
- Wind Energy To Bring Manufacturing Jobs to Detroit - (ProgressOhio.org)
- Green Jobs Boom Expected as Pennsylvania Works to Attract Solar Energy Manufacturers - (cleantech)
- Green Job Listings - April 15, 2009 - (Green Gigs)
- Traning Today's Youth for Tomorrow's Jobs in New Mexico - (Green For All) "...New Mexico YouthWorks are launching a new pilot program to train disadvantaged youth in green construction."
Nature & Environment Stuff
- Clean Coal? 10 of the World's Dirtiest Power Plants - (WebEcoist)
- 10 Incredible Natural Private Islands & Island Nations - (WebEcoist) Just look at the pics and daydream...
- California - (Al Gore) A warning to us Californians about our future if we continue to ignore climate change and global warming...it's going to hit us hard (already started).
- Russians Saving U.S. from Colony Collapse Disorder - (TheDailyGreen) "Russian bees are stationed at the White House. (That's a good thing.)"
- The biggest US oil spill you never heard of - (Mother Nature Network) "Brooklyn residents are pushing Big Oil and the government to remove millions of gallons of petroleum from their neighborhood."
- Animals gone wild - (Mother Nature Network) "It’s true that climate change is speeding the evolution of certain animals, but the longterm forecast looks grim."
Arts, Entertainment & Travel Stuff
- Car-free Travel: 15 Cities Where Pedestrians Rule - (WebEcoist) Check out these great cities to visit around the world where renting a car to see the sights is not necessary.
- Win a DiCaprio Date - (GreenMuze) Seriously..."DiCaprio has teamed up with Global Green USA to auction off an opportunity to meet and greet the heart-throb actor at the premiere of his next film."
- Twitter Donation: Hugh Jackman Offers $100K To Your Favorite Charity - (Ecorazzi) "...Hugh Jackman is on Twitter... and is offering $100K to the person who will tell him in 140 characters or less why their favorite charity is most deserving."
- Mass Farmer Suicide Sobering Reminder of Consequences of Water Shortages - (Blue Living Ideas) Wow...this is crazy! "In one of the more tragic stories related to water shortage in recent history, some 1,500 farmers in India’s agricultural state of Chhattisgarh committed mass suicide in response to the devastating effects of water shortages on their crop production."
Political, Social & Economy Stuff
- Story Time With President Obama & Family - (YouTube) The Prez reading Where the Wild Things Are to kids at the White House Easter Egg Roll...yes, it's on video thanks to C-SPAN.
- Electric Cars and China: Yes They Can? - (Al Gore) If "we allow other nations to take the lead in developing the technologies of the future, we would put our entire economy at risk for the next generation." Per the former Vice President's Twitter post, "We can’t afford to let China corner the electric car market."
- Little-known green facts about US presidents - (Mother Nature Network) "A roundup of tidbits from George Washington to George W." Yes, even dear old W did a little something green.
- Stimulus Greakdown- episode 3: Apply for Recovery Grants - (Green For All) In this episode: Emmanuel explains the nuts and bolts of applying for Recovery grants." (video in post)
- Army of elderly greenies - (Mother Nature Network) "Environmental activists are not always the dreadlock wearing, patchouli scented hippies that most people envision. In fact, some of the most fervent campaigners against global warming happen to be graying, slightly wrinkled elders." Another reason to love grandma!
- A Multi-City Guide to Earth Day Festivals and Events - (EcoSalon) Looking for something to do on Earth Day?? (PS - It's next Wednesday).