Expandable Mobile Mini House
Family, Kids & Health Stuff
- New book helps kids Think Green - (Mother Nature Network) "Eco-book helps kids learn easy ways to go green."
- Flavanol-rich chocolate drink helps math performance - (ConfectineryNews.com) Chocolate and math...wow, who knew?
- Maple syrup: Global warming casualty? - (Mother Nature Network) "The production of maple syrup requires long stretches of springtime cold nights and warm days. Global warming is disrupting that pattern and could knock it out for good."
- Genetic engineering vs. selective breeding - (Mother Nature Network)
- Fighting to maintain control over your lawn? - (Ideal Bite) "Battle weeds with toxin-free lawn care tactics that are healthier for your kiddos ('specially the ones crawling commando-style across the grass)."
- Moon Shine - Garden Week - (Ideal Bite) "Wanna get loaded on cheap electricity? Go with nonpolluting solar patio lights..."
- Get organic in the bedroom - (Mother Nature Network) Mentions of some great AFFORDABLE organic bedding and bath items.
Beauty & Fashion Stuff
- Purses, Wallets Have Too Much Lead, Environment Group Says - (Center for Environmental Health) "...an Oakland environmental group on Tuesday warned nearly 20 major retailers and manufacturers that they're selling women's purses, wallets, tote bags and other accessories with lead levels exceeding state standards."
- Rich Hippie - (showtheLOVE) "Chemical- free perfume!"
Tech & Science Stuff
- South Carolina Hydrogen Freeway Opened Between Columbia and Aiken - (HybridMile.com)
- Chicago Gets First Solar Powered EV Charging Station - (Gas 2.0) "San Francisco and Portland might be engaged in some electric vehicle pissing contest, but I think both cities just got seriously spanked by Chicago!"
- Honda FCX Clarity Named World Green Car of the Year - (EcoGeek)
Work & Business Stuff
- Justmeans: This week's new, jobs, internships and fellowships - (JustMeans)
- Good, green jobs for all - (Mother Nature Network) "Jared Bernstein explains how the Green Jobs Act has funds set aside specifically for training." Video in post
Nature & Environment Stuff
- Project Kaisei: Capturing the Plastic Vortex - "Project Kaisei consists of a team of innovators, ocean lovers, sailors, scientists, sports enthusiasts and environmentalists who have come together with a common purpose. To study how to capture plastic waste in the ocean and how to capture, detoxify and recycle it into diesel fuel."
- Pigeons write a smog blog - (Mother Nature Network) "When Beatriz da Costa releases 20 pigeons into the smoggy skies of San Jose, California in August, the flock will be writing what might be the world’s first avian blog—one offering a bird’s-eye perspective on air pollution."
- Most Endangered Rivers Are In California - (AboutMyPlanet.com)
Arts, Entertainment & Travel Stuff
- The Expandable Mobile Mini House - (Inhabitat) Super cool way to go camping!!
- Recycled Dust Bunnies - (GreenMuze) Literally!
- Blue Gold on DVD - (GreenMuze) "Based on the best selling book Blue Gold by Maude Barlow and Tony Clarke, the film follows a similar narrative exploring the crisis and the politics of the water rights’ story and finishes with solutions."
- Best of Green - (TreeHugger) "...best of the best, the greenest of the green, in the world of culture and celebrity, travel and nature, cars and transportation, science and technology, food and health, business and politics, and let's not forget fashion and beauty."
- Government of Ghana and Partners Addressing Child Labour in Cocoa Sector - (World Cocoa Foundation) While work is being done on a social level, we can create economic incentives to eliminate child labor in cocoa plantations by buying Fair Trade chocolate.
- Solar Oven "Kyoto Box" Wins 75,000 Dollar Prize - ( Twilight Earth) "Made from cardboard to be used to either cook food or sterilize water, the cooker can be used in developing countries who rely to heavily on wood for these same needs."
Political, Social & Economy Stuff
- Take Action: Reinstate Congress's moratorium on drilling in the OCS - (Oceana) "American ingenuity and determination can certainly develop energy alternatives rather than develop more offshore oil platforms..." Read and submit your message to Congress.
- What's green about the stimulus bill? - (Mother Nature Network) "Use this information graphic to find out how much of the $787 billion is going to green-related programs." Cool interactive graph.
- Urban Farming Holds Promise of Renewal for Detroit - (EcoSalon)
- Behind the Scenes: Obama's G20 Summit Trip - (Obama Pics Daily) Just some great candid shots.
Other Random Cool Stuff
- Green My World: The Eco-Office Gals Earth Day Giveaway! - (Eco-Office Gals) Coco-Zen is participating in this giveaway...take a look and maybe you'll win!
- On Passover: Considering Child slaver on Cocoa Farms - (Small Farmer. Big Change.)
- Child-labour involved in the productin of cocoa for Easter Eggs - (Australian Women Online) This may be an Australian post, but the message holds true for us here in the US, too. To find Fair Trade chocolate here, visit www.TransfairUSA.org.
- Take Action: Earth Day and Beyond - (New American Dream)
- Your gorgeous, green wedding - (Mother Nature Network) "From attire and flowers, to food and invitations, here are the how-to tips for an eco ceremony." Don't forget organic Fair Trade chocolates for the dessert spread!
- Babcock Ranch 100% Solar Powered City - (Jetson Green) "We've heard about ecocities in far away lands, but now there's one planned for the Unities States."