"Hundreds of snowmen exercised their constitutional rights to gather publicly and protest against global warming." - Consumer Energy Report
Family, Kids & Health Stuff
- #6 Plastic is Shrinky! A Kid-Friendly Re-use Project - (Eco Child's Play) What a great project to do with the kids...especially on those rainy Spring days.
- Teflon chemical linked ot poor semen quality in young men - (Safer States)
- World Hunger: Climate Change, Food Waste and Elegant Solutions - (EcoSalon) Did you know... "Over half the food produced today is wasted or discarded. In the US these losses are as high as 40-50 percent, with up to one quarter of all fresh fruits and vegetables in the US lost before they ever get to your refrigerator."
- Can Burgerville Bring the Local Food Movement to the Masses? - (Fast Company) Wish we had one here!
- Locavore app for iPhone - (Mother Nature Network) "A new application for the iPhone locates where you are, then locates local, in season food near you." Sweet!
- Super cool kiddie rocking chairs - (Ideal Bite) These are some NICE looking rocking chairs sized just for the little ones, made from sustainable woods and eco finishes. Although a bit pricey, the Iglooplay Mod Rocker will look pretty darn nice in any mod home!
Beauty & Fashion Stuff
- Calling All Couture - (EcoSalon) Looking for some eco-couture?? Check out this line up of green indie designers.
- Timberland Reuses Car Tires for Shoe Soles - (Fast Company)
- Threadless Loves Green: Design eco T-shirt, win $2000 and green prizes - (green LA girl) Calling all budding green designers!
Tech & Science Stuff
- All the cool Kids Use Hand-Crank Gadgets - (EarthFirst) OK...so, most of these things you may not want to use all the time, but they're perfect when no electricity is available.
- 'World's Most Power-Efficient Netbook' Unveiled - (EarthFirst) "The U110 ECO Wind Netbook can run for 9 hours per charge without showing a noticeable effect on the performance of the system."
- Get Ready for the First Hybrid Car Priced Under $20,000 - (Planet Green) "On March 24th, Honda will introduce its Insight with a sticker price of $19,800..."
- US Lagging in Solar PV - (EcoGeek) Interesting info here. Check out the pie chart...it may surprise you.
- AT&T Hops on the Smart Grid Train with SmartSynch - (Fast Company)
Work & Business Stuff
- Green Job Listings - March 18, 2009 - (Green Gigs)
Nature & Environment Stuff
- And the Country's First Carbon Neutral City Will Be... - (EcoSalon) Pheonix, AZ plans to cut "greenhouse emissions by about 70% within three to four years."
- Researchers from Scripts Institute of Oceanography Discuss Ocean Acidification - (Global Warming Is Real) "...how an overload of carbon dioxide is acidifying seawater, posing a subtle but profound threat to marine invertebrates."
- The 'Big Melt' documented by time-lapse photography - (Mother Nature Network) "A new PBS show called 'Extreme Ice' will document frame by frame a vanishing landscape." (video in post)
Arts, Entertainment & Travel Stuff
- 7 steps to green travel - (ecollo)
- David Stark's Indredible Recycled Cardboard Creations - (Inhabitat) There's furniture, home accessories, artwork and more...take a look!
- Hilarious eco-parody of the song Sarah Silverman made famous - (Mother Nature Network) "Check out this eco-themed Sarah Silverman parody: 'I'm Flicking The Lights Off.'"
- Spain Sets World Wind Record - (EcoGeek) "Last week, during a spell of particularly strong wind gusts, Spain set a world record by having 40 percent of their energy requirement generated by wind power."
- China's G20 Summit Performance Likely to Affect Climate Treaty Outcome - (Sustainablog)
- African Diamon Miners Choosing Carrots Over Carats - (EcoWorldy) "As the price of rough diamonds plummets in Africa, miners throughout the continent are instead turning toward a future in agriculture." Perhaps we'll finally see a decline in blood diamonds.
Political & Social Stuff
- World Water Day 2009: Shared Waters, Shared Opportunities - (Blue Living Ideas) "More than 1 billion people world wide lack access to clean, safe drinking water. That’s about 20% of the Earth’s population." Videos in post.
- White House to Plant Organic Vegetable Garden - (Sustainablog)
Other Random Cool Stuff
- How Much Water Does It Take To Make One Latte? - (The Vibe) Video in post.
- Student Design Biodegradable Packaging for McDonald's - (Inhabitat) It's actually a pretty cool bag, but we have to agree with the last line in the post..."The best solution? Stop eating fast food."
- Hundreds Attend Global Warming Protest - (Consumer Energy Report) "Hundreds of snowmen exercised their constitutional rights to gather publicly and protest against global warming." (see pic up above)
- The green cigarette? - (Mother Nature Network) "How one US tobacco company is trying to make users forget that its product can kill them."
- Do One Thing: Buy Checks Made From Recycled Paper & Printed With Soy-Based Ink. - (The Good Human) ...and, pay your bills online when possible.